Thursday, June 16, 2011

pretty windows {101}

I finally got my curtains hung in my dining room {don't ask me how long it's been}. I have to say it's amazing how curtains can change a room! 

Just for fun, here's a super before shot! 




And after again... 




Like my tie-back? I was inspired by restoration hardware:


I used thick twine for the tie back and got my panels from IKEA- $15 for two.

Here are some tips on how to hang curtains for drama and elegance. 

{1}

Hang the curtains high.

I have pretty low ceilings {about 8 ft I believe} but I buy 95" panels for all my windows. The drama long curtains adds is pretty amazing. Plus it makes your window look a lot bigger when the curtains are shut, and visually adds height to the room both when they're open or closed. 

By the way, it's ok to hang them quite a bit above your window trim. 

{2} 

Puddle just a bit.

Not totally necessary, this is just a preference of mine. I would say though to at least have your panels stretch to 1/4" off the floor.


{3}

Hang two panels per window.

The difference in one panel per window or two is mostly about what your window looks like when the panels are closed, but I think it balances much nicer with two per window even when the curtains are open. Instead of stretching one panel across your window, use two to create a softer feel to the room. A rule to go by is your panel length should equal approximately 2 1/2 times your window length.


Any more tips to add? I'd love to hear them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...