Tuesday, March 29, 2011

ruby {a true story}

My sister works for a non-profit nursing home not too far from here. 

{Actually it's a really great organization that's trying to make nursing homes much more enjoyable in many ways, but that's another story for another day}

She told me this story today that I have to share with you.

There's a lady that lives at this nursing home named Ruby. Ruby loves the Lord. She constantly talks about Him, and how she is so excited to "go home." My sister told me Ruby will commonly raise her hands and say, "Hallelujah! Praise Jesus!" 

A few years ago on her 103rd birthday she told everyone that on her 105th birthday she would go home to be with Jesus. Ever since then, she's kept to the same story, {despite the understanding smiles from everyone}.

A few days ago was her 105th birthday. At around midnight a few nurses came into her room to see her wide awake. "Ruby, what are you doing awake?" they asked her. "Waiting for my chariot," she responded.

Only an hour and half later, precisely as predicted, Ruby went to be with the Lord on her 105th birthday.



...

I thought this was such an amazing story, and it reminded me why I'm living: for Jesus.  After all, our home is not here, but Heaven. I'm reminded to look to eternity in my day to day. How exciting! I as well can't wait to be with Jesus, but in the mean time I will live for Him and His purposes. {And honestly, our chariot could be much sooner than a few years away}.

Anyway I just wanted to say that as much as I love house projects and design and whatever else, God will always be first, and these things won't ever consume me, but He will. My number one goal in all my life is to glorify the Lord in everything I do, and I want to encourage you to do the same: live for Him, you'll never regret that you did.

1 comment:

  1. As a nurse, I've seen death way to many times, but this is an amazing story~! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...