Sunday, November 21, 2010

sheet music ornament {tutorial}

Remember the lovely chipboard inspiration from Friday? I went out and grabbed some from Hobby Lobby {about $8 for a poster board sized sheet- although I'm sure you could find it 50% off or use a coupon} Also I heard Wal-Mart has it in 12x12 sheets {much easier to store, mine is awkwardly in my dining room at the moment} Anyway even for the maximum price of $8 you can get a whole lot of ornaments or other fun decorations or gifts. 


I decided to use some sheet music I found at an antique store {I'm pretty sure you can also pick some up at thrift stores} to add to the ornament, I bet pretty paper would be beautiful too!

...

For this project you will need:

* Chipboard
* Sheet music {or pretty paper}
* Mod Podge
* X-Acto knife or die cut machine
* Glitter
* Elmer's glue
* Paint brush
* Pencil

First I used Mod Podge to adhere a piece of sheet music to the chipboard before cutting.
{don't you just love Mod Podge?!}





Then I put on one layer of Mod Podge over the sheet music to give it a bit of sheen.



After dried, I then cut my shape- I cut a circle for this particular one using a X-Acto knife {I found a circle isn't any harder to cut than a square but you do need go over it a few times for both} Little shapes are possible to cut with an X-Acto but may be a little labor-some. I would probably suggest a die cut machine or different type of knife for more intricate shapes.

A tip if you don't have a cutting mat... I used my kitchen cutting board!



Make sure the Mod Podge is completely dried before drawing your design.

I drew a bird and a border, then painted them in with Elmer's glue {which I find holds glitter a little better than Mod Podge}



Then added the glitter.



After dried, I added a ribbon to the back with hot glue and voila!






Here are a few more




That easy!



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...